We are an organization that seeks to represent the interests and concerns of independent trade and college bookstores throughout the region. We provide regular opportunities to exchange ideas and information, and to strategize with fellow booksellers and co-ordinate shared marketing initiatives. The AIBA has been in existence since the early 1980’s and in that time it has acted as a representative body for independent booksellers in Atlantic Canada. It has successfully lobbied the Nova Scotia government on two separate occasions to oppose the increased taxation of books. It has also spearheaded multiple group promotional campaigns including the production of a series of television commercials and a series of ads in the regional publication Atlantic Books Today.
The objectives of the association as recorded in the by-laws are:
- To act as a representative organization of booksellers in the four Atlantic provinces of New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island;
- To address the business concerns of its members;
- To voice regional trade concerns of its members to the Canadian Booksellers Association;
- To foster an atmosphere of learning and co-operation among member booksellers, and;
- To engage in such activities and services as are complimentary to and will promote the above objectives and are in the best interest of the Association.
|President||Lori Cheverie, Manager, Bookmark|
|Vice-President||Lori Bradley, Owner, The Inside Story|
|Past President||Lisa Doucet, Co-Manager, Woozles|
|Secretary||Paul McKay, General Manager, Kings Co-op Bookstore|
|Treasurer||Paul McKay, General Manager, Kings Co-op Bookstore|